[pct-l] Mntn bikes on the PCT

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Wed Oct 24 12:41:11 CDT 2012

I just went out with a friend to document mountain bike damage on local
trails. We were taking pictures--now the snow is starting to fly. People
who feel strongly about this issue should get out to the trails while
they can and take pictures of mntn bike trail damage before the trails
are covered in snow.

I don't know if the US Forest Service comment period about mntn bikes on
the PCT is going to extend from March through next season, allowing more
time for documentation that could be provided to the USFS as public
input on this issue. I would hope that the USFS sees this issue as one
that needs at least an environmental assessment, if not a full blown
environmental impact statement. Our input to the USFS when the comment
period opens next March will help the USFS determine the level  of
environmental analysis needed. The more input about the negative effects
of mntn bike use on the PCT given to the USFS the more likely they are
to determine that mntn bike use has the potential to be a significant
impact on the trail and in this way trigger the preparation of a full
blown environmental impact statement. The advantage of an environmental
impact statement is more time for public comment. All public comments
given as part of the assessment need to be addressed and either
dismissed or mitigated for, which makes the decision making more
transparent.

--Fireweed