[pct-l] Sec A Mile 11 campspot?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Oct 21 18:47:31 CDT 2012

I camped at mile 9 on the PCT. There was a little nook carved in the
chaparral that was just big enough for our tent. I can't remember off-
hand what exactly is at mile 11, but there is a gate beyond mile 9
where you probably could have camped, plus near the dirt road
overlooking Hauser canyon you can probably find a spot to sleep.
Hauser canyon has room for camping. Climbing out of Hauser canyon
you'll probably see some spots to sleep once you reach the summit.
It's all chaparral, which is dense scrub, not "open desert." In some
years when I've been in the area there are dozens of small little
creeks and tiny pools of water. In other years it's all pretty much
dry. You can easily carry enough water to get to Lake Morena. You
just have to immediately divorce yourself from the idea that
"camping" = "near water". As a PCT hiker, camping just means
sleeping. Your life becomes hike all day and sleep wherever you get to.