[pct-l] Bikes and horses

Susan Alcorn backpack45 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 21 17:37:42 CDT 2012

We once talked with an equestrian near Vasquez Rocks (on PCT just before
Saufley's Hiker Heaven) who told us that her horse could be spooked by something
that we would consider a minor change--like a big branch on the trail that
hadn't been there before. It stands to reason, as others have said, that
horses' temperaments vary, but it seems to me that it would be impossible for
most equestrians to be able to train their horses to not be afraid of
fast-moving bicyclists.

When we are hiking, we regularly move a few feet off the trail, on the downhill
side, as horses approach. We then talk with the rider about anything else we
should do (or should not do) while they pass us. Are bicyclists going to be
willing to dismount and do all that?
Happy trails,
Susan Alcorn

Shepherd Canyon Books, Oakland, CA
www.backpack45.com and backpack45.blogspot.com
http://www.examiner.com/hiking-in-san-francisco/susan-alcorn

Coming November 2012: Patagonia Chronicle: On Foot in Torres del Paine

Publishers of two award-winning books: Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago and
We're in the Mountains Not over the Hill: Tales and Tips from Seasoned Women
Backpackers.