[pct-l] Arguments for Bikes on the PCT

Diarmaid Harmon irishharmon at comcast.net
Sat Oct 20 17:25:50 CDT 2012

I have been talking to my son about this and getting his take on it.

First I am a hiker/backpacker and I log @500 miles a year.

My son is a semi professional down hill mountain bike racer.

His take is one of unbelief. He rides and competes on designated trails for mountain bike riding and expressed his fear of rounding a corner to find as he puts it "a flower smelling dirt walker" ( his name for me) in the path. He has had this experience while training on a designated bike only trail on Mt Hood he fortunately arrived late to the collision between a biker and a person on the trail. My son only suffered 2 broken bones in his wrist trying to avoid the pile up. This particular trail is singed for mountain bike only it is closed to all other use. The person who was with the person that was hit and hauled off in an ambulance stated they were unaware of this restriction. My son had to sit out the second half of this years season and is still in a cast. I feel this attempt to share the trail is not backed by the professional racing community but the recreational crowd. A multi use trail that a sanctioned event is held on once a year is heavily singed and patrolled on the practice and race weekend. Users are given plenty of notice prior to this event. So yes in certain areas multi use is possible with proper planning and precautions but opening up the PCT to mountain bikes will only lead to catastrophic injury to all concerned.

Diarmaid "Irish" Harmon
irishharmon at comcast.net

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, Guinness in one hand, steak in the other, yell 'Holy Sh**, What a Ride!"