[pct-l] Arguments for Bikes on the PCT

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Sat Oct 20 15:21:14 CDT 2012

This is my personal opinion, not a position as list admin.
==========

I've been reading a lot of the arguments for Bikes on the PCT and I
have come to this conclusion:

The only goal of the MTB people is universal access to all trails.

The exact reasons don't matter to them, and they change them often and
quickly to gain whatever advantage the think they can.

Therefore, "negotiating"with them is not worthwhile, because the
specific issues are irrelevant. All that matters is getting access.
Nothing else.

For example on the Tahoe Rim Trail, there was a  "COMPROMISE" that was
reached to voluntarily restrict MTBs in some sections only even days.
It sounds like a great solution, it is reasonable, "fair" and sounds
goods in public forums and on paper. There are big signs on the trail
announcing this as a rule (though it is not.)

The Reality is that in the MTB world it is widely publicized that this
is "VOLUNTARY," not a law. One Saturday when I hiked such a section on
a "closed day," I was passed by tons of bikes, many traveling at high
speed.

When I talked to the TRT association director about this, she pretty
much blew me off, and pointed to the "COMPROMISE" as a viable
solution, and assured me the MTB community was reasonable and was
abiding by it.

I'm usually not big on "slippery slope" arguments, but I firmly
believe this is one. The MTB community is already "banditing" the
"Perfect Cycling Trail," if they are allowed even a toehold leggaly,
or any compromises are made on access, the PCT will go the way of the
TRT.

http://goo.gl/tvVNz
http://goo.gl/mP5YN