[pct-l] Bikes and Horses

rcluster at comcast.net rcluster at comcast.net
Fri Oct 19 16:12:22 CDT 2012

It is not against any rules here in Eugene, OR to ride your bike on the sidewalk except for a few blocks in the downtown core. Even if there is an on (or off) street bike lane, you may ride on the sidewalk.

I never do so because the automobile drivers do not expect to see you on the sidewalk (my observation anyway) and I think you are more likely to be hit. Heck, most of them don't see you in the bike lane right next to them, also my observation....many, many times.

I ride to work every day, but I'm not a MTB'r. Bikes have no place on the PCT due to the speed differences of riders and walkers. People, both bikers and hikers/horse riders, will be injured. I think that is the core issue, and one that I have not yet heard any solution for.

Ron in Eugene
Snowplow