[pct-l] About my first generation SPOT

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 18:53:56 CDT 2012

Ned, Shroomer, and Ed

I had to maintain contact with my wife this summer, and I had to
introduce several communication system in my hiking handbook. I had
studied the Spot, inReach, and satellite phone.

There were many reports of Spot in this mailing list. Considering many
reports, I became negative about the service quality and  the
performance of reception. So, I rejected Spot.
Next, I studied about the Iridium satellite phone. I felt It may be
ideal but too expensive for me. JMT (also PCT) is well maintained,
safe place. Thirdly, I studied about inReach system. It enabled two
way email system using Iridium satellite. It was also economical. I
decided to purchase the basic plan ( 10 dollar/ month ). I used it as
an email system, so I need not tracking and SOS system. I posted my
location and message to my facebook every day, and sometimes send
email to my wife directory.

Fortunately, you are my facebook friends,  you can see my locationsand
messages in my facebook. I failed to send the exact location at Le
Conte Meadows campsite, because I pitched the tent in the forest. But,
most of the time, the inReach worked well. My wife was very satisfied.
I  joined her at Bishop. She anticipated my arrival exactly, because
she knew my location and condition every day. It costed around 20
dollars / month in this summer. I felt its performance was great,
compared to the economical subscription rate. I also use the inReach
in Japan.

--
Sincerely
Hiro    ( Yoshihiro Murakami  村上宣寛 )