[pct-l] Tethers to the other world...from the other world

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Oct 18 07:47:31 CDT 2012

On Oct 18, 2012, at 12:07 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> From: Dan Jacobs <youroldpaldan at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Tethers to the other world...from the other world
>
> Texting could have helped here.

You know what's funny. I did text him and then I started responding
to his texts back to me. But oddly the texts back I was getting were
hours old. By the time I got fresh texts I was able to speak to him
on the phone, but with poor reception.

And yeah, I text with a dumb phone the old-fashioned way. Takes
forever and I'm terrible at it.

The thing I know about Trailhacker is he loves hot weather. When I
was doing my PCT treks he was telling me about how it was 100 in
Santa Barbara, he was feeling sick, so he decided to go hike in the
backcountry on some crazy off-trail adventure. It had been only in
the low 90s for weeks before he went. But the weather changed the day
we arrived. Still, with all his adventures in the heat, he though it
might work out since the trail does have water. But 100 is not the
same as 120 so it wasn't as much fun as he hoped.