[pct-l] Vegetarian thru hike

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Wed Oct 17 14:45:01 CDT 2012

[pct-l] Vegetarian thru hike

Jonathan,
As far as nutrition per lb, at 200 calories per oz., Macadamia nuts will beat any trail food
and contain the benign (not malignant) good oil so you don't have to worry about effecting
your cholesterol by eating to many.
Also, unlike most nuts which are dry tasting and require you to drink much water, Macadamia
nuts have more of a moist taste and do not require you to drink so much water.

You have to drink straight oil to beat the calorie count in Macadamia nuts and many high
mileage hard-core hikers, including Scott Williamson, boost the calorie count of their meals
by adding oil to their meals.
Scott Williamson, with 13 PCT thru-hikes (16 thru-hikes counting section hikes) including a
yo-yo and 3 speed records, the unquestionable, undeniable, indisputable "King of the PCT")
makes black beans, to which he adds oil his main meal.
He then hydrates the beans for about half an hour, while walking, in a container secured
against his body to warm the meal and then adds corn chips to the beans.
This method allows Scott to go cold (without a stove) and still have a somewhat warm meal.

So, Jonathan,...if you want to add "Horse Power" to your meals and lighten your pack at the
same time....Think "Macadamia Nuts".
I rely heavily on Macadamia Nuts on my JMT fast-packs.

JMT Reinhold
Jonathan wrote:
I enjoy fresh fruits and veggies in as much of my diet as possible. And I
think without carrying meats I'll be less attracting to animals. Has anyone
here done a thru hike or a long stretch on a vegetarian diet? How did you
carry enough food on the longer stretches to sustain energy? Are there done
things you found to outlast others or provide the most nutrition per lb?
Just looking for ideas! Thanks