[pct-l] Dehydrated food on arid stretches of trail?

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 01:07:23 CDT 2012

Also, in the Desert it makes sense to think a bit about what meals to eat
at a water source.  For me, usually my dinner is the meal that requires the
most water.  Now if I know I am going to hit a water source in the early
afternoon, and then not have another source for a long time, then when I
hit that water source that time becomes dinner time and lunch gets moved to
fill the evening spot.  That way I don't have to carry as much water for
cooking (i.e. be flexable and do what makes sense for the conditions you
are encountering).

There is no reason you can't have breakfast for dinner and dinner for
breakfast if that makes more sense as the water situation dictates.
But in reality - this worry over water sources really only applies to a few
days in Southern Cal over the whole trip.  Through most of the PCT the
water sources aren't that far apart - there are just a few areas where you
really need to slog a bunch of water - although you do have to plan your
water usage much more in the first 700 or so miles of the PCT (assuming
NOBO).   Just keep aware of how much water you use and how long to the next
reliable source, that will dictate how much to carry.  When you do hit
water think about how you can use it wisely - like staying and cooking a
meal - this gives you more time to tank up and allows you to carry less as
you leave because your cooking needs are less for the next meal or two.

Day-Late