[pct-l] Dehydrated food on arid stretches of trail?

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Tue Oct 16 22:40:33 CDT 2012

On 10/16/2012 6:11 PM, Ron Graybill wrote:
> This may be be a niave question, my being a relatively inexperienced
> hiker planning my PCT adventure.  But is there any advantage to
> carrying dehydrated food on stretches of the trail where water is
> scarce?  I mean, what's the difference between having to carry extra
> water to hydrate your food, or carrying food from the grocery store
> that already has the moisture in it?

Water used to rehydrate meals only has to be carried from the last water
source. his is true, even in the desert. If you plan your meals and
snacks carefully, you should be able to eat dry food until you pass a
water source. Even if you have to carry water a significant distance to
rehydrate a meal, you did not have to carry that water all the way from
your last resupply.