[pct-l] Tethers to the other world...from the other world

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Oct 16 21:04:56 CDT 2012

I think you just have to know the person. It might help to know
something about where they are, too, like the conditions and weather.
Sounds like you have a lot of experience with your partner, so you
just have to go on your gut instinct.

Last year in July my boyfriend decided he would hike Section C in
Southern California. That section starts in the desert near Palm
Springs. It had been unseasonably cool for a long time before the
weekend he planned to go so it didn't seem like a crazy idea at the
time. However, it was 102 degrees at 8pm when we got to the trailhead.

The next day after I was home, there were messages on my phone. First
there were happy ones. Then there were alarming ones. It was around
125 degrees and he didn't sound well at all. I drove all the way back
to the trail. It's about 3 hours from my house.

Cell service on the trail is spotty. I was unable to reach him. He
never called me again after his alarming phone call where he sounded
kind of out of it. The cellphone had terrible reception and the only
thing I could understand was he was going to wait next to Mission
Creek. So, knowing the trail well from my own hiking, I knew he had
cool water.

A few months prior some local hike leaders did some stupid stuff and
ended up being rescued. I weighed in my mind whether to start a
rescue or to wait a little longer. It was hard to wait. I didn't want
to embarrass him. Really, he was simply uncomfortable at this point.
I second-guessed my decision often, but I had to go with my gut and
wait.

By the evening he managed to call me. He sounded so much better. He
had managed to survive the heat of the day hunkered down in a lean-to
he made with his poncho next to Mission Creek. He soaked all day in
the cool water. In the morning I picked him up at the trailhead and
that was that.

No real lesson here. Just know your hiker well, know a little
something about where they are going to be (is it desert, is it full
of dangerous snow or swollen creeks, etc) and know what they are
capable of. Then trust yourself.