[pct-l] When to Ask For Help

bluetrail at aol.com bluetrail at aol.com
Tue Oct 16 16:05:21 CDT 2012

I think I should have replied to the list and not just Chuck.  To all of you, I do really appreciate the thoughtful replies.

With a couple of additions, here's pretty much what I replied to Chuck:

Jon is retired Army Special Forces ( Green Beret 20 years), so I know he's got the skills.  He's got the experience:  he's backpacked about 16,000 miles since I've known him.  If it matters, he'll be 66 and turn 67 on this hike. He's in good physical condition with no health problems.  He hikes solo.

What does concern me?

1. Hypothermia.  Jon is particularly prone to hypothermia.  On his '97 PCT, he bailed out of snow, sleet, rain mix  in Washington and went down the western side of the slope.  Ended up with a three-day walk in an Indian reservation, from which he eventually got back to town.  IMHO, the fact that he bailed on the western slope may be an indication that he was hypothermic enough to not be thinking well as that side tends to be the least populated in Washington.

2.  On that same PCT hike, he fell in a particularly bad stream crossing and gashed his leg in such a way that it took months to really heal.  He admitted to being scared on this incident--almost scared enough to jettison his pack in the stream.  (But, of course, he kept the pack and  finished the hike.)

3.  In 1997, he also had to self arrest with his ice axe. I learned about this from someone else's online journal.  He never mentioned it.   At that time, there were other hikers near by.  My concern here is if there hadn't been anyone nearby and he ended up in a broken heap at the bottom of the slide.

Guess that's about it for my concerns.   I have enough experience hiking and backpacking to be relatively unconcerned about a lot of things. Which still leave me wondering how many days should go by before I call for a rescue??????

When I stop and think about it, if his schedule allowed for 5 days between towns and he were injured on Day 1, it could be 5 +3 days before I got worried.   I could drive myself crazy with this, but usually don't.

And, yes, I will discuss the topic with Jon.

Thanks to all!

Joan