[pct-l] When to Ask For Help

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Tue Oct 16 08:29:04 CDT 2012

Good morning, Joan,

There’s no easy answer.  I suppose there could be situations where a
10-minute response time would be too long, but:

First: There really aren’t many dangers out there during the hiking season.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=167914

Second:  It’s rare that there isn’t help within some reasonable time and
distance.

I once broke a bone in my foot on the PCT in N. California and I had to
backtrack about 3 miles before taking a side trail another 3 miles to get
out.  In that first 3 miles I encountered 6 other hikers whom I knew, and
each offered to help in any way they could.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/