[pct-l] Tethers to the other world...

Gayle Webb dgwebbaux at att.net
Mon Oct 15 01:04:57 CDT 2012

Jeffrey:

Well said. I anticipate your poetic words will inspire more personal replies. So let me start with a very few of mine. What I found worthwhile about long distance hiking is the awareness and release from social concerns that comes with just providing for daily survival needs on the trail. When they are so easily satisfied by hiking on the PCT, the time left is wonderfully enriched by what you see and hear.  In that cathedral of the trail with a prayer to survive a soul can flourish.

It may sound juvenile or irresponsible to some but I think it is essential for a meaningful life to take the time and find the places to reflect on what is important to simple survival - starting with providing for some basic needs and then getting the freedom to select enriching places and relationships. For some this could be just a week-end at the Mariott with a good book and room service.  For others it is a solo thru-hike on the PCT or sailing around the world in a boat you built yourself. What is important is to make the time taken as precious and uncluttered as posssible and make it selfishly your journey. Emerson got it right. So did Joshua Slocum.

Spider legs