[pct-l] To SPOT or not to SPOT [AND] Money along the

I Discovered That By Going Out I Had Really Gone In timpnye at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 20:49:39 CDT 2012

Ned,
I experienced the daily Spot signals not always going through. Basically I needed a large arc of sky with a southern exposure to be sure it went through. If I was under canopy or in a narrow canyon the signal wouldn't go thrrough, although I'd be unaware at the time.

When I was injured I was under canopy in a steep sided canyon. I pressed the button and then crawled to a clearing on the trail. The signal went through and I noticed the back of the device noted that a red light would flash if the signal had not been received. I surmize that there is a priority for 911 signals.

Incidentally, three other hikers I'd been camping with for the last section came along and waited with me for the first helicopter. It repeatedly missed all of our efforts to signal them, except one hiker who had a red jacket. The rest of us may as well have been invisible. I recommend red or yellow for at least one item just in case.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone