[pct-l] Olallie Lake resupply

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 18:06:23 CDT 2012

Doug,

When I rolled through there this year I arrived the day after the thunderstorm ignited the fires that would ultimately lead to closure of that section of the trail.  The resort did not accept packages and the supplies available were limited.  The only things in the freezer, which were not operating sufficiently to actually freeze anything, were beer, a lot of it, and unfrozen otter pops.  I vividly remember this last because I actually had been fantasizing about Otter Pops about 10 miles out from the resort.

They had canned stew, chili, and some other things that you could survive and get through to Government Camp or the lodge,but you couldn't afford to be picky.  Incidentally, I did stay at a cabin, no running water, and their posted prices are negotiable down to what Yogi describes; the only reason I stayed was the beer and I was afraid that night would bring another intense thunderstorm, it did not.  The staff was very friendly and offered to share their dinner with me.

Incidentally, I'd like to give a plug for Government Camp, or Govey as the locals call it.  The population duplicates the trail demographic, with a majority of early/mid 20's, mostly snow boarders and older road bike racers while I was there.  There is a huge skate board track set up in the middle of the town square with a grandstand and surrounded by outdoor seating for pubs and restaurants and a television feed through town.  The Best Western was booked solid with a line of people still trying, when I was pulled out of the que by an employee who sat down with me and worked a phone until she found me a weekly resort operator that rented me a room for the night.  There is also a 24 hour cafe, The Huckleberry, on a corner, of the main street. Follow the cross street up three blocks to a newly constructed trail up 6 miles to the the Lodge.

Gourmet

Sent from my iPad