[pct-l] Bikes on the PCT

Devon Taig devon.taig at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 17:23:02 CDT 2012

I have thru-hike both the PCT and the Colorado Trail. Although I am not a
mountain biker, I count anyone who is *respectful *of others on the trail
and who gives of their time, energy, and financial resources to help
maintain the trails to be an important ally. I am honestly happy that
people are using the trails even though I might encounter some additional
(often substantial) traffic while hiking. People using trails is a good
thing! Truly, there are parts of the Continental Divide Trail that probably
wouldn't be visible anymore if it weren't for bikers.
Now, on the other hand, when a person is riding a machine capable of the
kinds of speeds that a bike is, there is obviously the potential for a
serious problem or an injury; and YES, I have encountered problem cyclists
on the Colorado Trail that have scared me and my dog.  But I don't believe
in throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  I welcome cyclists, but I ask
them to *please* be respectful of hikers.  Know that hikers are *much* slower
than you and may not hear you coming (particularly if they have headphones
on).  Kindly dismount if you aren't able to ride around. Even though you
may think it is super-easy for a hiker to simply step off the trail, if it
is the 30th time they've stepped off in one hour, it gets *really *old
really quick to always yield. And lastly, *PLEASE slow down especially
downhill and on blind curves and never ride at night*.  The biggest problem
on the Colorado Trail in my opinion is that stupid Denver to Durango bike
race.  Racers, because they are riding so fast and often at night pose a
VERY serious danger indeed.  Racing has absolutely NO place on the PCT or
the Colorado Trail. You can't be respectful and race at the same time.
It isn't bikes on the trail that worry me - it's people not respecting one
another.  Please, do that and we'll all get along fine.

Devon

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:42 PM, Stephanie Best <stephintahoe at sbcglobal.net