[pct-l] Mountain Bikes on the PCT?

lorna at ptera.net lorna at ptera.net
Wed Oct 10 09:43:25 CDT 2012

I hiked the CT this summer.  Mountain biking is allowed on that trail,
except for in the wilderness sections.  (There are designated mountain bike
routes around the Wilderness Areas.)  Some parts were very popular with the
mountain bikers, and it was NOT a relaxing hike.  Only one couple stopped,
and yielded to me, the hiker, as the signs said they should.  All of the
rest did not.  They really did act like they ruled the trail.  I might be
getting old and cranky, but I was starting to be really irritated by having
to step off the trail all of the time.  I KNOW it was easier for me to step
off, but still!  Plus, I was surprised, and the adrenaline shot through me,
several times by bicycles sneaking up from behind.  I was a mountain biker
for a few years.  It's a blast.  However, you constantly have to pay
attention to the trail and you're whizzing by so fast and you don't see much
scenery until you stop.  I know without a doubt that they DO erode the
trail, and make it dustier, especially around the corners.  The tires create
gullies so much faster than feet do.  If I was doing more trail work, I
would be discouraged if I knew mountain bikers would soon be ruining the
trail that we just fixed.