[pct-l] results of work/needs in Mammoth area of PCT

Ken Murray kmurray at pol.net
Tue Oct 9 18:30:02 CDT 2012

>From a note from Michael Morse, Wilderness Manager in the Red's Meadows area:

"You may not be aware of the wind event that occurred this past winter leaving us with thousands of trees across the trail systems in the northern portion of the Inyo National Forest.  We were successful in cutting over 4500 trees and opening all of the trails but did not have the ability to repair many of the root ball holes, tread damaged sections  and retaining walls pull out by the trees.  We also have sections of the PCT that could use heavy maintenance and resource protect in the Thousand Island area."

I actually spent a week there cutting trees, and instructing in sawing.  I've never seen anything like it.