[pct-l] Forest service reconsidering mountain bikes?

Susan Alcorn backpack45 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 12:49:25 CDT 2012

I looked at the site that had arguments for allowing mountain bikes and had
these thoughts:  Anyone saying that the impact of bikes and horses would be
similar is poorly informed and incorrect. Yes, both do damage--as do hikers--but
there are potentially many more mountain bike riders than there are
equestrians.  Secondly, horses travel at a much slower speed than do most
bicyclists; they don't come around corners unexpectedly with the potential of
running you down. For the record, I don't hate either mountain bikes (or horses)
and I don't see why bike-riders assume anyone hates them just because someone
sees flaws in their arguments.

I also assume that most hikers (in particular long-distance hikers) want a
wilderness experience away from the hustle and bustle of city life. I assume
that some mountain bikers are also interested in their surroundings, but that in
large part they want the thrills of new trails where they can zip along
navigating around the challenging terrain. There is no way that these two uses
are compatible on the PCT.

Where do we file our protests?
Susan Alcorn

Shepherd Canyon Books, Oakland, CA
www.backpack45.com and backpack45.blogspot.com
http://www.examiner.com/hiking-in-san-francisco/susan-alcorn
Publishers of two award-winning books: Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago and
We're in the Mountains Not over the Hill: Tales and Tips from Seasoned Women
Backpackers.