[pct-l] Forest Service to consider allowing Mtn Bikes on the PCT

Dan Jacobs youroldpaldan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 21:16:09 CDT 2012

It might be worthwhile to note that the proposal is to open the PCT to
bicycles _outside_ of designated wilderness areas. That won't keep
some folks from getting in there knowing that bicycles aren't allowed.

I will be giving my comments to the USFS on this matter. I believe
that allowing bicycles on the PCT will increase the number of people
getting injured on The Trail, which will increase the amount of money
that various agencies, volunteers, and government will spend on
rescuing people. Second, trail erosion will increase. the only thing
all groups (hikers, equestrians, and mountain bikers) can hope for if
the proposal ends up being approved is more cooperation and work being
done by people happy to volunteer to maintain The Trail.

In some places, bicycles and backpackers don't mix well, if at all.
This needs some very serious study and attention before the US Forest
Circus makes another mistake (forest industry supervision and control
(too much or too little), clear cutting, destruction of riparian
areas, fire fighting (too much or too little), etc.).

Dan Jacobs
Washougal
--
"Loud motorcycle stereos save lives"