[pct-l] Wife Buy-In and Contracting Biz Prep For Thru Hike

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Oct 7 12:15:58 CDT 2012

By the way, one of the best things about being the one left at home
is having the house to yourself all the time. I doubt a husband can
use that as a selling point to his wife, but I'm pretty sure from one
wife to another it could be a selling point.

I also enjoyed shipping the boxes and even being at the ready to come
pick him up when his hikes were over. Being "Mission Control" was
fun, it sort of broke up my otherwise boring office existence and
gave me a purpose, however small. Also, going out to meet him in
trail towns was fun. It was fun to meet the other hikers and attempt
to help them out. (Somehow all our efforts at trail magic have mostly
failed.)

I did my own long distance hikes before my partner ever did any long
distance hiking. So once he decided to give it a try I was really
excited to relive my own experiences through his and to have him
experience what I had experienced so that he'd know what it was like.