[pct-l] Burning TP

Heather mom_and_alex at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 20:26:39 CDT 2012

Thank you for speaking up, Inga. I was dismayed by the intensity of negative reaction to Boris' post. I hope some will go back and read some very deferential responses to inflammatory remarks and try to follow their examples - we're all fellow travelers.

But I do also want to raise the issue about burning TP. Per the Leave No Trace training I took last year, burning any paper waste is discouraged
http://lnt.org/learn/7-principles
The simple guideline is: pack it in, pack it out.

I don't suppose LNT is required training to get a long- distance hiking permit. And theres probably someone out there right now with fingertips on the keyboard to inform me of how controversial LNT is and
of its shortcomings. thats fine.
I just don't pack TP, but choose natural vegetation, a la Backcountry Poo Poo Clinic

http://www.skillsforwildlives.com/2011/10/backcountry-poo-poo-clinic/ (even if u don't want to do as they do, it's a quite entertaining video!)

So my goal with this post is to encourage re-thinking this practice, especially among  those long- time hikers who were originally taught that burning is best.
I really appreciate the wisdom and experience  veterans have gained, and hope to meet you in person on the trail someday, Boris. And I hope  not to have offended fellow hikers. But it was important to me to share.

“We pray that you will be filled with His mighty, glorious strength so that you can keep going no matter what happens — always full of the joy of the Lord” (Colossians 1:11 LB).