[pct-l] Problems on the PCT/cattle & horse manure/ pathogens

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 22:55:44 CDT 2012

Boris,

Cattle are not allowed in the three National Parks through which the JMT passes.

This summer, beginning July 20, I rode my one horse (no pack animal) north starting from the Cottonwood Pack Station in Horseshoe Meadows. When I reached the JMT west of Whitney, I followed it all the way to Yosemite Valley, which I reached on August 15. I saw no cattle. Surprisingly, I remember passing only two pack strings during the entire distance. (Except on the "STOCK ONLY" trail south of Little Yosemite Valley that I followed down to the Stable in Y.V. - on that stretch I came upon three pack strings heading up from Yosemite Valley.) I didn't notice much in the way of the excessive horse manure that you describe on the rest of the JMT. (Being a rider, I did not have to pay close attention to the tread - my horse did that while I could look at the incredible scenery. Sometimes I do dismount and walk - didn't notice much horse poop then either). On July 24 I rode across Forester Pass. I think that I was the first equestrian to ride
 over Forester Pass this summer. I was always looking for horse sign. None. The Packers tend to avoid most of the high passes that are on the JMT.  That was what I have learned in talking to several Packers. Since the Pack Station in Onion Valley was closed, I had descended down Bubbs Creek to the Pack Station in Cedar Grove for the first if my two resupplies, the other being VVR. The C.G. pack station mostly bring customers up on trails above Cedar Grove, including Bubbs Creek and Woods Creek. Since grazing is prohibited in the Rae Lakes area, and Glen Pass is very difficult for stock. they don't bring customers on the Rae Lakes Loop. As I continued north to Tuolumne Meadows, I saw just the two pack strings that I have mentioned. When I reached the Horse Camp at T. M., there were several Back Country Horsemen with about 10 horses (I am a member, and they helped me celebrate, with wine and a delicious BBQ steak dinner - in reaching Tuomumne I
 had finally completed the PCT. It has taken me four years). The BCH were camping and mostly socializing there and also taking day rides. They were very hospitable to me - a stranger to them.

Pathogens.  Since cattle are not permitted (this has been effectively enforced) in the National Parks or Wilderness areas through which the JMT Passes, cattle manure is not a problem there. I do remember encountering cattle on other parts of the PCT. One must be very cautious about water sources anywhere around cattle. Their manure is very high in pathogens. Two other animals whose fecal material is high in pathogens are humans and dogs. Dogs are not allowed on the JMT - so they are not a concern.  Horse manure is not a significant source of pathogens. Their digestive system is very different from that of cattle. Cattle have three stomachs. With horses, just one - they are not very efficient, it is just "thruput" - they just eat grass, which is processed and pooped out. Several University studies have been done on the subject. The conclusion is that horse manure is not a significent health threat to humans. You can verify this yourself on the
 web.  Now we come to humans as a source of pathogens. During my JMT journey this summer, riding NOBO, I passed about 500 JMT thru-hikers. All of those were hiking SOBO, most had started in Yosemite Valley. It was interesting that most that I talked to were going to climb Whitney and would be camping (last camp) at Guitar Lake. The JMT hikers that I met were from all over the world, including even one group of about 10 young people from South Korea who did not speak English. They were fascinated seeing my horse. Some of the young girls wanted to touch (pet) my horse. I was delighted to meet them.

When you have something like 500 hikers on the JMT, who I passed during just 27 days, there will be a problem of sanitation - water sources will become contaminated. Does everyone always do a proper job locating and digging their cat holes? I have observed human fecal material on the surface. I have also seen toilet paper on the surface. I have taken the time to bury both. The offenders were obviously not PCT thrus. They were most likely weekenders. But it is also true that sanitation will sometimes be compromised - simply camping in a heavily used location, going for a swim or washing your hands in a pond, lake, or stream, as many PCT hikers do, can pollute it, adding pathogens to the water. I always try to camp alone, well off the PCT (or JMT) with my horse to avoid high-use places. I take my solar showers well away from water sources - and I have gravity-fed running water at camp side from the faucet of my solar water heater. I do not use soap
 to do my laundry while living on the trail. I mostly live on the trail because I cannot hitch into towns with a horse. I wash imy clothes using a plastic scrubber pad, in my horse bucket so as not to pollute water sources. I resupply myself by driving ahead and caching. When I leave a horse camp I scatter the poop. I do not, and will not, use a diaper. That idea is impractical and unnecessary. Lately, while on the JMT, I have started packing my TP out, keeping it stored in an OPsak. That works.

MendoRider-Hiker