[pct-l] Ultralight as a must?

Sir Mixalot atetuna at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 03:58:34 CDT 2012

Both weight and miles increase the risk of over-use injury.  Reducing
weight increases your chances of completing the trail without injury.

It also reduce sweating, soreness and exhaustion, making it easier to think
about the incredible scenery instead of the load on your back.

A lighter load makes it easier, even possible, to cover more miles in less
time.  This may allow you to take time to smell the flowers, get in and out
of town in a day without doing a nero, or opt to hike even more miles.

If you have the money, knowledge and experience to go lighter while being
safe and comfortable, I can't think of why you shouldn't.

And I don't like the term 'ultralight'.  It sets a goal that might be
unattainable, and is rarely reached.  At least I believe most ultralight
practitioners keep trying to go lighter.  I believe that's the goal.  To
continually strive to go lighter.  It doesn't matter what the result is
called, except for boasting.