[pct-l] Older PCT Photographs

Rolf Gersonde rolfgersonde at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 00:26:02 CST 2012

Hello,
I am trying to connect with people who would share older photographs of the
PCT for a re-photography project.

In my work at the Cedar River Watershed (see Twilight Lake south of
Snoqualmie Pass, WA) I have been able to relocate and re-photograph a
several 100 year old photos from land surveyors. Some of the photos have
great ecological information about vegetation and environment.

I am starting on a project to find older or historical photos of the PCT
and to re-photograph them. Why the PCT? The PCT is located far from human
development, however, most of its diverse ecosystems are sensitive to
environmental change. The PCT is relatively stable in location and may
remain so for a long time. Future hikers of the PCT may continue this
project and create a unique time series of environmental change through
re-photography.

My challenge is to find photographs that can be dated and located. Finding
the location along the trail and re-photographing them is the fun part.
Photos older than 15-20 years should be valuable to document vegetation
change which can be very slow in the montane and alpine environment. More
recent photos are easily shared, often in great quality.

If you have older photographs along the PCT that show vegetation and
landscape, think about if they can be located with modern mapping tools,
and let me know if you would be interested in sharing them for this
project. You would be contributing to a great commons, with greater value
than the sum of its parts. Or send me an e-mail if you are interested but
have concerns.

Happy trails.
Rolf
rolfgersonde at gmail.com