[pct-l] Summit Mt Whitney

Jonathon Howry jon.howry at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 16:13:08 CST 2012

Me and two friends are going to thru hike the PCT next year and one
definite stop on the way is a day to summit Mt Whitney. Are there permits I
can reserve ahead of time for the 3 of us, are permits required at all? Is
there any info about this that's helpful to a complete unknown like me?
Special gear needed or can I just "walk up the mountain" with my pack and
trail runner shoes? Is it do-able in one day? I understand it's around 8
miles off the PCT, that's "easy" enough to cover once, then summit, will
there be time to get back to the PCT or should I plan to camp in Inyo
national forest?

Thanks!