[pct-l] Traction Aids

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Nov 29 14:25:59 CST 2012

Good afternoon, ,

Maybe 50% of hikers carry – and sometimes use – traction aids for snowpack
walking.  I do for extensive snowpack, but I’m more likely to use
shoe-screws or instep crampons because that’s what I have.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264768  Most hikers with traction
aids use the MicroSpikes, and I can remember only one voice against them.

MicoSpikes – and their cousins – are not magic and they are not full alpine
crampons.  They are to provide improved traction on slick trails.  Crampons
are for serious up-grade climbing, and breaking-trail across steep
side-hills.  If anyone thinks that’s what PCT hiking is all about then
maybe full-platform crampons are for you.

Full crampons are available in several varieties:  Some will clamp onto
heavy-soled standard boots, while other models require boots with special
built-in features which are mostly serious (heavy) mountaineering boots.  None
that I’ve seen will work well on typical hiker’s sneakers.  With the first
step they would stick in the ‘pack and a low shoe would be twisted off the
foot.  Besides, having all those long, sharp spikes in close proximity to
one’s marginally-protected feet and lower legs is a distinct hazard.

I seldom used to use any traction aids but recently I’ve been using the
instep crampons more often.  That’s because I find that I’m not quite as
agile as I was even a mere 50 years ago and I appreciate the additional
security.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/