[pct-l] Vagrancy Issues, calve muscles & combat boots

bluetrail at aol.com bluetrail at aol.com
Thu Nov 29 14:01:38 CST 2012

Whoa!  You're implying a whole lot here (but you might be right on some points).  As my house is a little less than a mile off the Florida Trail, over the years I've had probably close to 100 long-distance hikers staying and being fed at my house.  One came in 1995 and is still there.  So maybe there is something to the sex appeal of hiker stink and hairy, muscular calves, those his are more sinewy than big muscled.

I hike (99.5% day hike) myself, lead activities for the Florida Trail Association, and volunteer for my county natural lands program.  I've been to ALDHA (east) three times, and have presented at ALDHA on the topic of doing trail support for a long-distance hiker.  For the hiker who stayed, I've shipped packages for about 14,000 of his more than 15,000 backpacking miles.   The first time the hiker who stayed thru-hiked the PCT, here are the instructions I got:

"Here's the book with all the places I'll need a mail drop marked.  I'm using the 5-month schedule.  On those highlighted in yellow, I'll need complete food resupply too.  Here are the maps:  you can figure out when I'll need each one.  Tear the appropriate pages out of the guidebook and mail them with the maps.  Here's a bunch of signed, blank checks to pay my bills and buy the food and postage.  You know what I like to eat."

And he was off to California the next day.

So, I'm not unacquainted with the genre.  What amused me most at the time I picked up the "heavy trucker," was that Nimblewill Nomad (Eb Eberhard) was already staying at my house that same day.  We took a photo of the two men with their packs--a real study in contrast as Eb was going quite lightweight.   I'm just saying that even then, seeing someone with such a heavy, shabby pack and crummy visible "gear" was outside the thru-hiker norm, and much closer to what I see panhandling at Orlando street corners.  But the muscular calves were the giveaway.

And yes, if I saw you doing an FT road-crossing, I'd probably pick you up too.

Telling way too much,
Joan