[pct-l] PCT Hike, Bend OR - Fresno CA Hel

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Wed Nov 21 17:29:02 CST 2012

I'm assuming you mean 2013, not 2011.
>From Bend, you have three decent starting PCT trailheads along major
highways. They are listed in ascending order of miles from Bend (nearest to
farthest). You should have no trouble getting a friend to drive you to any
of these:

1) South Sister (Devil's Lake trailhead?) or Elk Lake, both along Hwy 46 WSW
of Bend (past Mt Bachelor). These are your closest trailheads. Both have
trails up to and intersecting with, the PCT.

2) McKenzie Pass (Lava Camp Lake), SW of Sisters on Hwy 242

3) Santiam Pass, NW of Sisters on Hwy  126

It would be a long hitch to reach the PCT crossing of Hwy 138 just North of
Crater Lake.

Note that Sept 10 is a late to start heading south as you won't get into the
Sierra until mid-October. As you said, "weather permitting". I'd suggest you
exit the PCT at Echo Lake (South Lake Tahoe) and catch public transport from
there to Fresno. If the weather is holding for you, you might make it as far
as Tuolumne Meadows (which will be closed by then) and either hitch down to
Yosemite Valley or take the JMT down. They're open year-round and again, you
can get public transport there.

I would not go any further south on the PCT that time of year, as there are
no convenient west side bailout opportunities for hundreds of miles. Both
Muir Trail Ranch and Vermilion Valley Resorts will be closed by the time you
get there.