[pct-l] Seeking advice on obtaining permission to stay in the US on a tourist visa long enough to thru-hike

Philippe Gouvet philippe.gouvet at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 10:18:22 CST 2012

On Nov. 21, 2012  13:01, Fred Walters <fredwalters2 at gmail.com> wrote :

As I understand it, entry under visa waiver program is 90 days, but I
thought that using a visa allows you to be given up to 6 months.  Having a
visa does not ensure you will be allowed even into the country and how long
you will be given.  The port of entry officers make those decision (not
consulates or embassies who issue visas).

I confirm Fred's explanations. I am French and attempted a thru-hike this
year. I had been granted a 10-year multiple-entry visa by the U.S.
Consulate in Paris, but 'only' got 6 months — after explanations about my
plan — upon arriving in the United States. Maybe because I told the
immigration officer that I thought it would take me 6 months...

I am trying again in 2013: I'll let you know about the multiple-entry
stuff... :-)

Philippe (Big Shot)

Philippe Gouvet
pacificcresttrail2012.blogspot.com