[pct-l] I'm Fine--Lost PCT Thru Hiker is FOUND

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Mon Nov 19 16:06:18 CST 2012

Chuck,
I agree, most most injuries and situations requiring SAR are probably
the results of of human error, bad decisions or hikers not prepared for
the conditions they might encounter on the trail.
Notice that I said  "MOST"  not  "ALL".
However, there are dangers on the trail that are independent of  the
hikers actions....wild animals like bears, mountain lions, snakes,
etc,...dangerous river crossings,...snow covered mountain passes,...rain
& snow  and sub freezing temperatures etc., etc.
And hey,....there is  "SWITCHBACK"  the  "TRAIL PIRATE"  who is always
raiding and plundering innocent hikers.....there is no defense against
that scoundrel.

I know, if you use good judgement, don't do anything stupid,  and are
prepared for the conditions you may or are most likely to encounter on
the trail you most likely will be able to deal with most of those dangers.
However, notice that I, again, said "Most"  not  "ALL" for some of those
dangers are beyond our control and some of our hiker friends are known
to make bad decisions and being naive and not prepared for the
conditions they may or are most likely to encounter,....like freezing
rain, snow, getting lost, ...without sufficient cold weather & rain gear
or map or compass.

Hey, when hiking solo, I have been known to make stupid decisions, for
instance:....sitting out a thunder storm on top of Mt. Whitney....boy
was that ever a stupid decision.
You can't belief how loud thunder can be until it strikes next to you.
Or how about the time on one of my JMT fast packs when UL was the #1
priority and I made a rain pancho
out of an UL space blanket....it worked great until it started raining
and lightning....that's when I began to worry that I might be walking
lightning rod...end of story.
However, I have also have sustained injury that was not the result of
bad decisions....a fall that resulted into a ruptured disk.

Statements like..."Ooohhh,.... the trail is so safe"...."You have
nothing to fear" only causes inexperienced hikers to lower their guard
and be less prepared.
That is probably the main reason for the dramatic increase in SAR rescue
missions and I would not at all be surprised if an expert SAR member
like Ned would agree with that.

Yes Chuck,...the Mount Hua trail in China has got to be one of the most
dangerous trails in the world.
The good thing about that trail, however, you don't have to worry about
snakes, bears, or mountain lions.
Those critters have more common sense than humans.

JMT Reinhold
Your smart hiker
--------------------------
Chuck wrote:
Good evening,
The PCT is usually dangerous only when people make it dangerous for
themselves.
It is a very safe, easy-to-hike trail.
Even places like the snow chute below Forester, the cliff walk along
Eagle Creek, and the Knife Edge in the Goat Rocks are all pretty mild;
particularly compared to the walk seen here:
http://www.barnorama.com/the-most-dangerous-hiking-trail-in-the-world/

Steel-Eye