[pct-l] I'm Fine--Lost PCT Thru Hiker is FOUND

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun Nov 18 14:26:47 CST 2012

Bob,
I don't know about you, but I would not heap praises of skill,
confidence and determination on a hiker who foolishly ventures into the
snow covered Cascades as winter is approaching without a map or compass,
gets lost in a blizzard for a week or so, but somehow survives...most
likely by sheer luck.

In my opinion a skilled hiker is prepared for the conditions he may or
is most likely to encounter.
I think Ian was rather foolish or naive to be hiking in those conditions
without a map or compass and very lucky, "Thank God", to have survived.

I just hope that this will be a lesson to other hikers about the
importance of being  "PREPARED"  for the conditions you may or are most
likely to encounter, rather than a reinforcement of the naive thinking
among some of our hikers......"Ooohhh...don't worry...you don't need all
that stuff, and if you do get into trouble, you can always call
911....and don't worry about the cost of the SAR....it's all part of the
cost of government."
No wonder SAR costs are going through the roof!!!

Geee,....I'm only surprised that we don't have more fatalities on the
trail....probably because of  "Good Luck",.....good  "SAR teams"....and
a  "Surplus Budget".

Be like Switchback,...He carries everything he may potentially
need....from  "hand free umbrella"  to "solar powered fan"  to
"reflector tape"  and  "fuzzy pink camp slippers".

Like Ground Pounder  says...."BE  PREPARED"

JMT Reinhold
Your prepared trail companion
Rick Wrote:
Not to mention the cost of a search and rescue and the danger to the
team....mother nature is nothing to    fool around with. She deserves
the highest respect
---------------------------
Andrea wrote:
Ian left our place on Oct 17...last seen on the 19th. Average 5 days to
Stehekin. He was lost in a blizzard and by the time he got to Stehekin
he had been out on the trail 19 days and out of food for 5 days. When
the snow starts up in the N. Cascades it can dump a foot at a time. Day
after day of that and you don't have a chance. I am hoping to get the
Snohomish County SAR to attend the Kick Off and discuss the reality of
surprise snow storms up here. SAR folks were on their second day of
having 3 helicopters flying rescuers into the last place he was seen to
search for him. They were afraid that they would not find him alive
after being out there so long without food, maps, compass or GPS.
Remember, Mother Nature is a lot tougher and a lot meaner than any
human. And besides a hiker getting hurt or loosing their life.....what
about your family and friends. Think what you are going to put them
through if you are lost or die.
PCT MOM
Bob wrote:
/And this shows what skill, confidence, determination, and a smidgen of
luck//can do for a hiker.//
That said, very few hikers have those attributes in both the quantity
and //quality that Ian has exhibited. //Bottom line: Never let your ego
write checks your body can't cash. //
Corollary: There's always next year. The trail isn't going anywhere. ///