[pct-l] Shelter

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 19:02:06 CST 2012

There were quite a few of them on the CDT this summer.  At one camp site we
had 4 out of five tents made by Z Packs.  One person who had the single got
wet in a particularly windy and exposed camp in the Great Divide Basin
where the storm switched directions 180 degrees from what the prevailing
wind had been when we all pitched.  The others in single hexamids  did not
get wet, and me in my double Hex was bone dry.  Both the single and the
double are wonderful tents but for the several oz difference I loved living
in a palace all summer with the larger which was still under a pound with
all stakes and groundcloth.  It was easy to stay dry in.  I was surprised
by the durability of the cuben fiber which I had thought would not hold up
so well.  As long as you protect it from abrasion, it is remarkably strong.
 I recommend getting the "beak" option and the internal groundcloth as it
is raised into the doorway when the wind comes up as part of the rain
proofing.

Shroomer