[pct-l] Johnny Olley

Bob bobandshell97 at verizon.net
Thu Nov 15 11:04:43 CST 2012

Johnny Olley was a friend of mine...   an idol, actually.   When you got to
know him, he was quite an inspirational person.   I don't believe he made it
all the way that year.  Johnny passed away on October 3, 2007 at age 93.   I
met him several times on the PCT over the years, including on that
southbound hike you mention.

If I may be allowed a personal story:   I was headed northbound that summer
and, knowing that he was hiking southbound, wrote him a letter hoping that
we could meet up again en route.  I mailed it to his P.O. Box in Dunsmuir,
assuming it would be forwarded.  Weeks later, as I got my package at the PO
in Sierra City, I turned to glance at the register and was stunned to see
that Johnny Olley's name was the last entry... and dated that same day!  I
whirled around and asked the lady postmaster how long ago he had been there.
She said. "Oh, about an hour ago. He was going out to the picnic table out
back before heading on."  I raced out back, but no one was there.  I looked
all around, feeling pretty bad that.. oh, so close... I had just missed him.
As I walked slowly back toward town, I came upon a figure, frumpy hat on
with a huge backpack next to him, slumped down on some steps reading
something.  I couldn't see the face, but knew Johnny prided himself in
carrying a heavy pack.  "Johnny?" I asked.  The man looked up, but said
nothing.  We'd corresponded, but it had been a few years since we'd seen
each other.  "Johnny Olley?" I continued.   His eyes smiled.  "Johnny, I'm
Bob Ellinwood."   He said, "Yes, I know.  I'm reading your letter right
now!"   Talk about timing!   I bought him dinner that night and we had great
conversation til quite late.

I should mention that, at an even older age, he hiked the entire A.T.
Well, almost the entire A.T. except for less that 10 miles!   He was in his
early 80's, I believe, and did the whole trail except the climb up South
Kinsman, in N.H.  Those who've done the A.T. northbound will remember South
Kinsman, often regarded as the toughest, steepest uphill of the trail.   At
that age, he just couldn't get up it with his pack.  Wish I'd been there to
help.  He got around it to N. Woodstock and continued to Katahdin.  He
referred to that stiff uphill on South Kinsman as requiring "vegetable
belays,"  grabbing plants and trees to help one up.  It has become part of
my hiking vocabulary at appropriate moments.

Johnny volunteered at Castle Crags for several decades as a trail
maintainer.  Lonely in later life, he occasionally shared with passing
hikers a poem he had written:

Be My Companion

I have stories to tell

But I listen, as well
So won't you lend me your ear
And talk to me, dear,
While we walk?

There are beautiful trails
O'er mountains - through vales
On granite and heather

While we talk.
Come with me!                                 Johnny Olley, 1990

Thanks for mentioning his name.  Just thinking about this pretty special guy
has given my day a lift.

Dr Bob