[pct-l] No on Proposition foraging

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Sun Nov 11 15:29:57 CST 2012

Diane said what I meant to say in my email way back about foraging your
way through the PCT. People that lived off the land did bring a lot with
them when they travelled around, supplemented by game and wild edibles
in season.

One would have to do the foraging and packaging in the off season, then
use the modern postal service to mail that foraged food to themselves
along the trail. Or else maybe cache it like Mendorider, somehow in an
animal proof manner. Come to think of it, a lot of people do this
already to a big extent if they make their own food in the off season
and dry it to use on the trail. I dry vegetables and apples grown by
friends and put them in baggies for the trail.

Another option would be to meet someone along the trail with your
re-supply stuff. Of course they would have to get there by non motorized
transport. (LOL).

Using the modern resources of community supported agriculture to get
food for the trail, process it and take it on the trail is a natural
extension of foraging on the trail and is a lot cheaper and more healthy
than buying meals made by others.

--Fireweed