[pct-l] No on Proposition Foraging

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sat Nov 10 18:09:30 CST 2012

[pct-l] No on Proposition Foraging

Let me see now Diane,
At about 2lb food a day x let's say 150 days, that would be about 300lb
of food.
Do I carry all that food in one huge pack or should I you put it all into
a grocery card and push it down the trail all the way to Canada?

Would you advice that I put snow tires on the card so it pushes easier in the snow?
Should I bring along a spare tire, just in case I get a flat?
Also, I was wondering, how many bear canisters I should bring along?

Diane,I am so glad you got this all figured out because, as you said, the guys are
thinking about it all wrong and if they were as smart as you, they would do it
your way.

Too bad Mendorider did not know this....he could have left his horse behind.

Wish me luck on my journey,.....I will keep you tuned on how it goes.

JMT Reinhold
Diane wrote:
Those who really want to try to do foraging or self-sufficiency on the PCT are
actually thinking about it completely wrong.

Cultures that practiced nomadism often brought their food with them.

If you were smart, you'd spend the off-season foraging and dehydrating
edible plants and mushrooms that you found and hunt some fat large
animals to make pemmican. Then you would have all the nutrition
needed, nothing would slow down your hike and your purism about doing
a fully-foraged hike would be preserved.