[pct-l] Thru-Hike, Explorer Style

Bob bobandshell97 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 7 09:05:08 CST 2012

>I would just like to add, that as someone with a background in
Anthropology/Archaeology I've spent a fair amount of time studying the
habits of >our ancient man, and even HE/SHE did not really spend 3-5 months
straight hiking 20 miles a day. Migrations were a slow process, and that
type >of travel, when it did occur, was either a brief process to travel to
a seasonal home or didn't last that long.    -   Lindsey

I've always been intrigued by something I found in my Dad's papers after his
passing:

"American Indians going on a long journey with a settler, after pushing on
steadily for 3 days, remained encamped the 4th day.  When asked why they
didn't continue the journey, they said it was customary to rest the 4th day
to permit 'their souls to catch up with them.'       -     Told to the Very
Rev. Eric Portergoff, Provost of Portsmouth, Eng., by a member of the U.S.
Embassy in London, as an experience of her ancestor."

Dr Bob