[pct-l] No Zeros in Motels

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Nov 6 15:52:05 CST 2012

Hey, Dan!

My resupply location-choices list from 1974 was based on where friends/family lived, for the most part. Since it took almost two years, starting in 1972, for me, a 15-year-old at the time, to plan my hike, I had time to solicit them and to drive the route the summer prior to look for locals who might, also, hold a box for me.

So, of my 13 drive-out drop-boxes, I selected 10 locations:
Fawnskin/CA,
Weldon/CA,
Cedar Grove/KCNP/CA,
Yosemite/CA,
Echo Summit/CA,
Old Station/CA,
Copco Lake/CA,
Odell Lake/ORE,
Cascade Locks/ORE,
Snoqualmie Pass/WA,
and Rainy Pass/WA.. (These boxes were sent to those who would later drive out to meet me).

I utilized only one Post Office, in Mojave/CA.

I found one person living near the trail, who worked for Crater Lake NP, by the name of Ms. Elva Michael, who volunteered to hold a box for me.  Of interest to many on this List, the name of Elva Michael should ring a bell. This was the person Eric Ryback referred to as the “Park Superintendent” on p. 90 of his famous book, “The High Adventure of Eric Ryback.” I just happened to bump into her working behind the Park Information desk the summer before my hike. She wasn’t the Park Superintendent! I spent the night on the floor of her garage cleaning and restocking my Kelty pack and boxing Kodachrome 25 film, my journal, and used, full-sized topo maps to ship home the next day when I continued hiking north July 4th.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org