[pct-l] Thru-Hike, Explorer Style

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Tue Nov 6 15:03:42 CST 2012

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Eric Lee <saintgimp at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Right, and that's exactly the strategy that would have the highest chance of
> success.  (Taking deer, anyway.  I don't think I've heard of anyone even
> SEEING a wild pig on the PCT.)  The big problem there is legal restrictions
> on hunting, of course, and also the enormous weight you'd be dealing with at
> the start of your 14-day leg.

Deer Season in California is at most 6 weeks (some places less) in
late Sept/Oct, which would severely the ability to hunt, unless of
course you don't care about huntin laws, like you don't care about
Leave No Trace.

I have never seen a wild pig anywhere in SoCal. They exist, but there
are quite a few more tag sold for them than reported kills.

If you bring stock, planning on having them graze or forage, the
animal would starve along most of the trail. Starving animals to death
is frowned upon.