[pct-l] Life Straw........

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Mon Nov 5 11:26:13 CST 2012

Interesting, but seems a little big.  The posted weight is less than the Sawyer Squeeze filter alone, BUT...

The LifeStraw is not designed to work with a bottle, in any way, EXCEPT "scoop up dirty water and suck it through the LifeStraw".

From the Q&A tab on the product page at EarthEasy:

"The LifeStraw is designed to deliver water through the mouthpiece. It is not designed to deliver water to a vessel, like a water bottle.
I suppose you could rig a siphon tube to do this.
A common way of using a water bottle with a LifeStraw is to simply dip your water bottle into the water source and scoop it up full of water. Then you can slip the LifeStraw into the water bottle, since it is narrower than the opening of most water bottles. You can drink from the mouthpiece which protrudes just enough from the typical water bottle."

It also has a shorter working life than the Sawyer Squeeze Filter. 1000 liters (264 gal) vs 1 million gals for the Sawyer.  The LifeStraw also says "5 year expiration" but say that's because they haven't tested one more than 5 years old.  Still, what's in it that might "expire"?  They say "nothing", then why date them?

You don't have to listen to me, I'm just...
SomeGuy
Bill Burge
bill at burge.com