[pct-l] Thru-Hike, Explorer Style

abiegen at cox.net abiegen at cox.net
Mon Nov 5 00:02:20 CST 2012

Eric wrote:

>As for the opinion of ethics of foraging along the trail. I agree if?
>500 people did it, then it would probably leave some noticeable trace.?
>Fortunately 500 people don't do that, and nowhere near that many?
>people thruhike the trail each year.

This year somewhere between 700 and 900 people attempted thru-hiking the PCT. Many of them did not finish though.

>Also, I read somewhere the you can expect to have to use an ice axe?
>and crampons somewhere on the trail. This poses a logistics problem?
>with my self-imposed "no resupply" rule.

I would guess that all of the potential through hikers with ill conceived self-imposed rules were among those that didn't finish. You obviously have no experience in this part of the country so you are asking advice of those that do. That is good. You don't appear to be listening to that advice. That's not potentially fatal but you probably should take a cold sober look at the replies you are getting.

I would suggest that if you can find one person on this list who will say that yes, that is a great idea, go for it (not counting Reinhold who is obviously toying with you) then go for it.

As someone who grew up on the east coast, your idea sounds much more like an east coast idea. I could see if being successful there and obviously you have the training for that and probably experience on that coast. Have you given thought to trying your idea on the AT or parts thereof?

TrailHacker
--
"When my feet hurt, I can't think straight"
Abraham Lincoln