[pct-l] Kerosene and white gas availability...

William Canavan wecanavan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 23:21:25 CST 2012

Stefan,
Both are available but kerosene usually comes in larger containers (like
several gallons) as it isn't used in 'hiker amounts'.  On my thru-hike I
also used the MSR whisperlite but I think mine said international.  Twice I
filled my fuel bottle with auto gasoline and once I used kerosene.  Both
burn so dirty that I didn't like using anything but white gas.  I cooked
one meal with kerosene and then dumped the rest it made such a mess on my
cook pot.   Try the kerosene and auto gasoline at home before your hike and
see what you think.

Both times I filled my 11 oz fuel bottle with gasoline and the time I
filled it with kerosene were all freebees.  If you are traveling in the
cheap seats maybe it's worth the soot.  The first time with gasoline I
yogied a bottle.  The kerosene was yogied.  I tried to purchase the 2nd
bottle of gasoline but the store clerk didn't know how to ring up such a
small amount of gas and ended telling me to f&%@ off after I had already
filled the bottle.  I think it was about 25 cents.

I have since switched to a canister stove because it is smaller and lighter
and I can throw it in my pack without having to first wipe off the soot.
Good luck,
Little Brown

Message: 14