[pct-l] Thru-Hike, Explorer Style

Chris Anderson srhspaded at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 4 22:12:53 CST 2012

I'm just curious, but has anybody seen many animals in say, san jacinto, or baden powell, let alone the high sierras during the thru season?  Just asking, because I've been winter camping in san jacinto plenty of times, and all I can think of, is you better like the taste of one crow a day at best...if it is a mountain man trip that you want, and you have your heart set on the pct...then I would suggest breaking it up into 3 or 4 years (being generous), and heading down to the valleys and canyons and squatting around munching until the weather improves.  Living off of the land is one thing, but trying to do the pct in one year as you propose is (most likely in the most serious voice i can use) not possible...i think most people have either been tongue in cheek or subtle with their hints...you won't be able to average 20 mpd while hunting/gathering... not only is the populations of animals drastically smaller than when the first homesteaders came
 through, but they weren't trying to walk from mexico to canada along a trail that follows such high elevations...the best you have is maybe fish and eat snake/squirrels but that won't provide the absolute necessity of calories for doing the pct...how many zero days would you take to preserve a big game, and how are you going to carry all of that until you need more?  this is not what the mountain men did...perhaps they crossed the divide living off the land...they also had horse and stock, and wagons..., but they didn't try to walk the crest...just saying...re-evaluate your logistics...

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat!