[pct-l] Thru-Hike, Explorer Style

eric at ericwichman.com eric at ericwichman.com
Sun Nov 4 17:59:57 CST 2012

As for LNT...

Bears poop in the woods, big cats kill deer, pigs root around, moose
stomp all sorts of holes, wolves kill prey animals. All sorts of other
animals and fish crap and pee in and around the waters that we drink
while on the trail.

Hikers, hunters, (humans and all animals) leave traces all over. A
permanent shelter is a trace, a campsite is a trace, a food/water
cache, fences, signs, trail markers, footprints, and trash gets left
on the trail etc. All traces.

While I support the "idea" behind LNT, it's not possible, and the
millions of animals (us included) will still leave a trace regardless
of what we do to prevent it.

Hundreds, if not thousands of animals are killed by predators every
single year, in the forest and parks. Some die of natural causes, some
are killed by the weather, starvation, disease, or predation, etc.
Animal corpses and bones are lying and rotting all over the forests
RIGHT NOW as we speak. But most people never wander off trail or get
outdoors long enough to see it.

Blah blah blah...

We could debate all day, and into the week, and next month, and next
year, about LNT and we would NEVER all agree 100%.

Again, I support the idea behind LNT, but it's impossible, not
realistic, and should simply be "Leave as little trace as possible."

Perhaps the most obvious point to make is that the PCT itself is a
2650 mile long 'trace'.

~Eric

P.S. I'd actually rather talk about my original question of whether
it's possible to do an Explorer/Survival style thruhike with no
resupplies.

BTW fishing is open year round in most waters in CA, looking into OR,
and WA now.

Foraging for herbs, berries, and veggies is also and option. I think a
combination of all the above, hunting, foraging and fishing might be
enough to make the trip possible.