[pct-l] strange bird call

Alicia Reenders a.reenders at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 16:09:42 CST 2012

Hey there hikers!

On our thru hike this summer, my bofriend and I started hearing a strange
animal around dusk and into the night, somewhere in northern CA around
July/early Aug. This thing sounded so loud I really thought it was a baby
bear calling or something.

We heard it again several times, including up on Hat Creek Rim and the part
as you descend off the rim. That time it was daylight, and we didn't see
anything on the ground making the noise. We looked up, and it seemed to be
coming from some birds with longish tapered wings. They were kind of
circling around and diving at each other.

So does anyone know what this bird is? The best way I can describe the
sound is that its like a cross between an elephant and a deer snorting,
only more like an elephant. It is about 2 seconds long, and is very loud,
way louder than a deer snorting. I haven't been able to figure out what
this is by searching for "elephant noise bird" so thought I would ask the
list! I bet one of you out there knows. Thanks!