[pct-l] The PCT...Explorer Style...Unsupported...Without Resupply

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sat Nov 3 16:19:28 CDT 2012

[pct-l] Thru-Hike, Explorer Style

Eric,
There was a kid a few years ago, I think from the UK, that was planing
on hiking the PCT the "Pioneer - Explorer" style by living of the land.

I think he got talked out of it with advise that he would starve to death
because there are not enough nuts and berries on the trail and he would
have to resort to hunting and trapping, which is illegal, to survive.

However, if you are really serious about doing the PCT without resupplies,
by living of the land, I will reveal to you my "TOP SECRET" method on how
to "thru" the PCT  "Explorer Style"...unsupported, without resupplies.
It has been my goal for years, however I am getting to old for this extreme
stuff....but you, you are still young.

So, how is this possible?...what is my "TOP SECRET METHOD" you ask?

GRAZING...I call it the GRAZING method.

That's right, you simply graze in the "Meadows" as you move on down the trail.
There are lots of meadows along the trail.
Besides, "veggies" are good for you...your mother must have told you that.
Just think how light your pack will be...no food, no stove, no pot, no fuel,
no bear canister.

You might, however, have to carry a few nuts to get you through the
desert section.

Well Eric, I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a successful "Pioneer
Explorer" style, living of the land, PCT thru-hike.

JMT Reinhold

JPL wrote:
There is some talk about folks who have attempted that on the AT.  My
limited understanding is that they didn't last a week.