[pct-l] Worst parts of the trail and ways to get though

Anne Estoppey anne_estoppey at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 3 13:24:02 CDT 2012

There is also some trendy silliness about wind farms in Norway. Although it has been observed that it was a problem for birds, especially on islands where bird populations are decimated by these stupid things. And also on migratory routes. Norwegians don't like wind farms, because they hate when something so visual is killing their landscapes. Still some projects have gone through, I am not sure how.

For a lot of people, if you are opposed to wind farms, you are some kindof evironmental pro-oil enemy. For a lot of people, there is nothing in the deserts, so why not use all this otherwise useless space?

That makes me sad. I had no clue of SoCal deserts. Last year I drove from LA to Palm Springs. The highway went over a ridge, and -pang- I was in the desert. I had never seen anything like this before. Wind was blowing sand on my windshield. It was sand on the highway! I almost had to stop because I couldn't believe what I saw. The landscapes were so mind-blowing. I spent one night in a campground in Mojave. I will never forget it. I truely love SoCal deserts, and although I am from green and tiny Switzerland (and living in over watered Norway), I don't like to see the deserts, their fauna and flora, destroyed by these huge wind farm projects (neither by these solar power plant projects).

I am excited to start walking in the SoCal deserts on the PCT. I am also anxious because it can be tough and I am really not use to these conditions. And I am also anxious because I surely do not want to see any dead raptor at the feet of some wind turbine... :-/

Anne

Message: 16