[pct-l] PCT and Mtn Bikes

abiegen at cox.net abiegen at cox.net
Fri Nov 2 12:58:54 CDT 2012

Jackrabbit wrote:

>Is this true that the PCT was open to Mtn bike prior to 1988?

>I want to respond in this bike forum but want to be correct.

>Jackrabbit

As Brick pointed out, this is a misrepresentation, or a lie depending on how diplomatic you want to be. They are trying to rewrite history so they can gain access to the PCT. In 2010, I believe, they were able to get access to the CDT by claiming that mountain biking predated the official designation of the CDT. They were successful.

The PCT was officially named a national scenic trail in 1968, long before mountain bikes existed. The first production mountain bikes weren't even available until 1981, so they can't use the 1968 date. So they are latching on to the 1988 FS document which clearly stated the original intent of the law on the PCT.

They are also stating that President Johnson who signed the law on National Scenic Trails was very much in favor of biking. President Johnson died in 1973, long before mountain bikes were invented. So that is garbage too.

I read yesterday on their facebook page that they feel that John Muir would have been in favor of mountain bikes and then listed off a list of other environmentalist who would have embraced mountain bikes on the the trails. All except Thoreau, they said. Garbage.

It's not worth your time to argue with them on their turf. They do delete things that they don't like.

TrailHacker

--
"When my feet hurt, I can't think straight"
Abraham Lincoln